Sunday, June 15, 2008

Who took my kway chap - Why rising oil prices is good

Today while having lunch I realised that my kway chap, although still at an affordable $3 was looking suspiciously skimpy. After I poked around a little, I wasn't shocked to find that someone had taken my kway chap. Mr Oil leads to inflation, inflation leads to missing kway chap, which leads to suffering!

Is there a bright side to rising oil prices you may ask. Of course. In fact it would serve well to have oil (and food prices) remain at a high level.

Here are some reasons why

High oil prices means less people will buy cars. We all know how much cars add to assets. Nothing. (higher oil prices is also my best excuse now when someone asks me the irritating question of why I did not get my driving license)

Higher prices means people will think twice about driving. Environmentalists stop your camping in trees. Horde oil now!!

The push to alternative energy gets a leg up. Nothing motivates people to be creative about alternatives like expensive oil.

Higher food prices = thinking twice before snacking = less obesity / appreciating food more.

Higher food prices will shift profits to nations that actually PRODUCE something and away from nations that repackage stuff. Agricultural nations rejoice!

Higher oil prices leads to governments removing oil subsidies. Subsidies screw up actual demand. People should be exposed to the full "pain" of the lack of supply. Otherwise they will just be demanding the same in a climate where there is less.

Of course no one wants oil prices to remain high. Just let it stay there for long enough to make people wake up, consume less, think more, save more to beat inflation (which most people have been assuming does not exist), invest more in our future.

I still want my kway chap back though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home